Living Oaks Academy is a ministry of Calvary Chapel Morgantown, a non-denominational church in Morgantown, WV, which seeks to emphasize spiritual unity among followers of Jesus Christ. It is our policy to give preeminence to preaching the gospel, to studying the Word of God, and to exalting the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the only true basis of Christian fellowship is Christ’s (Agape) love, which is greater than any differences we possess and without which we have no right to claim ourselves Christians.
- We believe worship of God should be spiritual. Therefore, we remain flexible and yielded to the leading of the Holy Spirit to direct our worship.
- We believe worship of God should be inspirational. Therefore, we give a great place to music in our worship.
- We believe worship of God should be intelligent. Therefore, we have great emphasis upon teaching the Word of God that He might instruct us how He should be worshipped.
- We believe worship of God should be fruitful. Therefore, we look for His love in our lives as the supreme manifestation that we have truly been worshipping Him.
In order to identify the church as conservative in theology, and evangelical in spirit, we set forth this general statement of beliefs:
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God and inerrant in the original writings (2 Timothy 3:16).
2. We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all (Genesis 1:1, Matthew 28:19, John 1:1-2, John 10:30).
3. We believe in Jesus Christ’s eternal existence and His incarnation as God’s only begotten Son. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teaching, His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people and personal, visible return to earth (John 3:16, Philippians 2:6-7, Matthew 1:18, Matthew 1:23, Hebrews 4:15, I Peter 3:18, Acts 1:9,11, the Gospels).
4. We believe that the lost and sinful man must be saved, and that man’s only hope of redemption is through faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ and that only by God’s grace and through faith alone are we saved (John 3:16-19, John 5:24, Romans 2:23, Romans 5:8-9, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5).
5. We believe in the Holy Spirit, who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, and to regenerate, sanctify and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ. We believe the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Jesus Christ and that He is our abiding Helper, Teacher and Guide. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and in the exercise of all the Biblical gifts of the Spirit (John 14:26, John 16:13, Romans 8:9, I Corinthians 3:16, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
6. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the unsaved; they that are saved unto resurrection of life, and they that are unsaved unto the resurrection of condemnation (John 5:28-29).
7. We believe in the Spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 12:12-13, Galatians 3:26-28).
8. We believe in the two New Testament ordinances of water baptism and the Lord’s Supper (communion). These ordinances are observed in obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ, as acts of love and devotion, and are not considered necessary for salvation (Matthew 28:19-20, Luke 22:19-20, I Corinthians 11:24-25).